Sunday, July 27, 2008

Be Careful Little Ears What you Hear!

My weight has been an issue ever since I can remember, I can still remember the first discussion my parents had with me about it. My parents were and are very loving only wants whats best for you type parents, But I can remember the discussion being about how I need to exercise more and how Daddy was going to run with me. Number 1 I hate running and always have, but I love spending time with my dad so I agreed. I remember feeling mixed emotions, My chubbiness came as a surprise to me, I didn't know I was chubby. I remember feeling so shocked upset and disgusting it put me on the defense for ever. you see my weight wasn't a problem for me then and i look back and I don't understand why it was a problem for others. I suppose you can say I had a tummy. I was going in to fourth grade. Looking back I was developing early. I already had to wear a bra, I would start my period the summer before fifth grade and by 7th grade I was a full C Can you say Self conscious?

Skip forward to 9th grade, I wanted to try out for Colorguard and I actually make it, you would think this the best day ever right, This is the day that sealed my poor self image into place. I get called into the Music Directors office and he tells me that I was one of the largest girls on the team and that he can't have a FAT GIRL looking bad in the uniform. And that he would be watching me and If I did not maintain a decent weight he would suspend me until I got the weight down. Okay I was a size 7-9 at 14 years old and Still a full C.

That experience hurt so much and from that day forward no one could say anything bad or good about my weight because I had already told my self how awful I was, how unworthy I was, how disgusting I was.

This internal Dialogue has continued until this week. This week I started to listen to what I would say to others about me and hear my inner self comment and what I heard was all negativity. I have built up a defense of hurting myself before you can that way when what anyone else says something awful it doesn't hurt because I already said it. I make fun of myself before any one else can. Just the other day I was worried about how someone would take a comment from me and I was discussing with friend, I said I hope she doesn't think that, "I mean look at me I'm a Heffalump! you couldn't possible think someone would be threatened by me"

That was Thursday, What insight God has bestowed upon me. At that moment I have decided to change that about me, I will no longer allow my thoughts to be negative therefore undoing any good effort. I will no longer make fun of myself. That also means that I may have to face the hurts head on and feel it, but I know that I am not alone and that "I can do all things through Christ who Strengthens me"

What is your internal dialogue saying to you? Do you have any such defense mechanisms in place? Are you willing to take this challenge with me an not allow you to speak negativity about yourself inside or out?

You and I will be at the top of my prayer list today and this week! Together we will change our view of ourselves and by doing that we will be able to glorify God because we will see how wonderful his creations are, US, We are his creation created in his image! Praise God.

Blessings and love to all,

Lori


5 comments:

pchickki said...

Very good post Lori. Iam glad to hear what you are saying. I am sure this will encourage and inspire others as well including me.

Keep up the good work !! You will reach your goal. That butterfly is waiting to be released and you have taken the first step in setting her free!
Love you
Mom

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Lori,
What an inspiring post.

A couple years back I watched a Mariel Hemingway interview with Larry King, it really stuck with me - she spoke of thinking negative things she'd thought about herself and how if someone had said any of those terrible things she was thinking to her, she would never call them a friend. She also mentioned how it feels incredibly empowering to be a friend to yourself, if you listen to your heart, mind, and body.

It really sounds like you're learning to love yourself and I'm routing for you.

I found you through Nancy's Fete et Fleur blog, so glad I did.

Love the comment above from your Mom.
~Tracie

Donna Gotlib said...

When I read your comment about size 7-9 at age 14 and developing as a full C I could so relate.

I remember starting my period in the 4th grade and thinking that I was dying because I didn't know what was happening. I actually wrote my will and threw my panties in the garbage every day until our housekeeper found them and spoke with my Mother. Imagine those little cotton starched panties with the eyelet trim?

I was wearing Junior Petite size three dress at that point and the same size in a bra as you. But my older sister who was in the 11th grade developed much later, made fun of me and constantly told me how fat I was. Looking back at my Easter photo from that year I was an adorable size, but I thought I looked like a hippo.

I've yo-yoed for years and it's been a big struggle. I think I was about forty before I arrived at the place where you are now. But I remarried and I've packed on a few pounds once again and now I'm working to get those off.

You are a real inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing here. I'm so glad that Patti shared your post and encouraged us to visit. She's a doll.

I'm glad to meet you!
Cookie

Charm and Grace said...

I found you from Nancy at Fete et Fleur, and I also relate to what you have said about weight. I did not develop early, but I did start having weight issues at age 13. My mother put me on a diet and started having me to measure out my food. Looking back, she should never have done it. I was in NO way overweight, just at that awkward age. I have felt "fat" ever since. I actually have been overweight since having my first child 16 years ago. I need to be healthy so that I can be there for my now 3 children. Kudos for starting this blog and for your efforts. (a question: did you do the artwork of the butterflies in your first post? it is beautiful!)

Hugs,
Christi

Raechelle Ivy said...

I am so sorry he said that to you!!!

He said stuff like that to others too. When I was a trying out, I had YELLOW hair from Sun In hair bleacher. He asked me if that was my natural hair color, when I told him it wasn't, he told me to get it back to natural. He also asked Kristy if she owned a bike...and then proceeded to tell her to to start riding it.

That doesn't compare what he said to you, but still remembered. Then my freshman year of college, I was standing outside the band room with Rudy. He walked over and asked me if we had something to tell him. We said "NO." And I figured it out....and replied..."No I am not pregnant, just fat."

I confronted him about it three years ago, and he was very defensive, saying he would NEVER say anything like that to a female student. I guess I imagined it. (NOT)

I love the man and have respect for him, but he made many mistakes with his words and actions.